The de Havilland DH-98 Mosquito, constructed almost entirely of wood, is
affectionately known as “The Wooden Wonder”. During WWII, it was prized for its
maneuverability and speed powered by dual Rolls Royce Merlin engines. This
particular airplane, number KA114, was manufactured in Canada in 1945 but never saw combat in WWII. In 1948, it was sold to a farmer in Alberta, Canada, where it deteriorated in a field until purchased by the Canadian Museum of Flight and Transport in 1978. The Military Aviation Museum bought the aircraft in 2004. Restoration work was done over an eight year period by AVspecs in New Zealand. It took almost three years to build the wooden airframe. The Mosquito is painted with the markings of 487 Squadron RNZAF as EG-Y in honor of the Royal New Zealand unit flying Mosquitos during WWII. It arrived in Virginia Beach in March 2013.